The holidays are a time for family and close partners to enjoy as intimately as possible, so where do all the single people fit in? Well, according to romantic comedies, single people during the holidays sulk in a corner by the Christmas tree, avoiding seeing people with their loved ones.
Others may be sulking at the fact that they have been dumped or "Turkey Dumped", where college students dump their current partners shortly before returning home for the holidays. Either way, being single during the holidays may not seem like something most people want to go through but here are some reasons as to why being single does not have to be so bad:
1. You are free to celebrate as you wish: No longer do you have to choose between which family you have to visit on the holiday. You can decide to celebrate with your family or friends at your leisure without having to feel guilty. So no more feelings of awkwardness around the fire if your partner decides to leave the room with his/her parents still there. Now you can visit whomever, wherever or visit no one at all. It's all up to you
2. You may be more open to set up personal goals for the upcoming year: while in "relationship mode" we often tend to set goals that incorporate more "we" statements instead of focusing on goals that would improve your well-being. Allow yourself to be more interested in you and no one else!
3. There is no pressure to be "presentable": let's face it, we all want to make a good impression. For most couples, the holidays are when we meet the family and that's stressful. But now as a single person, you are free to be you, with no apologizes. That's the best type of freedom!
4. Gift giving: The burden/anxiety of having to find the perfect gift is GONE! Plus that extra cash can go toward a gift for yourself, your savings, or a gift for someone else. Again, your choice!
5. Because being single is fun: being in a relationship has its perks, but so does the single life. When you are single you open yourself up to new possibilities and experiences. You are more likely to do and try new things that maybe you never thought of. And the holidays are a good time to experience this type of freedom. Think about it...during this time strangers are more friendlier, there are more events & parties, friends and family want to spend time together. The holiday spirit just opens up new doors then during other times of the year, so it's a great chance to meet new people and try new things. And as a single person you have the chance to experience it all without compromising! What is better than that?
So this holiday season enjoy your single life, with no compromises!
Written by: Jessica Jefferson, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, Certified Perinatal Mental Health Counselor and Owner of Cloud Nine Therapeutic Services. My passion is
helping individuals who want to learn more about themselves and not get lost within the expectations of being in a relationship. I help them learn more about what makes them unique so that they can overcome their challenges and find peace. I am here when you are ready to start the process to learn more about yourself.